Regular Diet and Oral Hygiene Instructions:
- Brush twice daily – after breakfast and at night before going to bed (unless child had fluoride varnish done at the office, then wait until the following morning to brush)
- Floss daily before brushing at night.
- Regular visits to the dentist for a cleaning and cavity check every 6 months.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Please have your child bite firmly on the gauze in their mouth for 20 minutes, or as directed by the doctor. If the socket continues to bleed, use the extra gauze given to you and have your child bite firmly on it for an additional 30 minutes.
- Your child MUST NOT rinse out their mouth, drink from a straw, or gargle or spit for the next 24 hours.
- A soft diet is recommended for the rest of today and your child must not participate in any sports activities on the day of extraction.
- If your child is experiencing any discomfort, administer Children’s Motrin at the recommended dose.
- After a fluoride varnish is applied, your child should not eat or drink anything for 30 minutes.
- Do not brush your child’s teeth today. Wait until the following morning.
- Your child may not eat anything sticky (fruit snacks/rolls, gummy candy) or crunchy (ice, hard candy) as the sealant may fail.
- Sealants are tooth colored so you will not see them, but the doctor will check them every 6 months at the cleaning appointment.
- Flossing is still a MUST after sealants are applied.
- The gums may be tender and the tooth may feel different. Your child will get used to the crown after a couple of days and the tenderness will go away. Administer Children’s Motrin at the recommended dose as needed for discomfort.
- If a spacer is cemented in the mouth, your child may need a few days to get used to the appliance. Flossing under or around the spacer is a MUST.
- Your child may experience slight discomfort in the gum area. Children’s Motrin at the recommended dose will help.
- Your child may feel some tenderness in the gums for a few days. Children’s Motrin at the recommended dose will help.
- Your child may have some sensitivity or tenderness of the gums. Children’s Motrin at the recommended dose will help.