Healthy Snacks for a Child’s Teeth When Traveling
If your family is always on the go, it can be tough to snack right and keep teeth healthy. After all, it’s almost too easy to pull off at a fast food restaurant and order one or two items off a discount menu. However, your child may not be able to brush for a long time after eating on the go, and that makes it even more important to choose healthy snacks. Here are some good options.
- Nuts – Nuts can be a great snack for a kid in the car, and it’s a perfect substitute for potato chips, pretzels, and other salty Just make sure the nuts haven’t been coated in sugar (i.e. honey roasted).
- Cheese – Kids love cheese, and dairy products are usually high in calcium and low in sugar, making this a great travel snack. While it may be expensive to buy individually packaged servings of cheese, a block can easily cut into cubes and put in a zip top bag for easy transport and eating.
- Vegetables – Veggies make a great healthy snack. Carrots, cucumbers, mild peppers, celery can all easily be cut into snackable strips. Just make sure any dipping sauce isn’t loaded with sugar.
- Fruit – Sure, there is plenty of sugar in fruits, so you have to use moderation, but it is still a lot less sugary than most prepackaged snacks, and there are a lot of nutrients to offset some of the negatives. If your child has a sweet tooth, this is the best way to calm the cravings.
- Water – The best travel drink is always water. It’s the main way to avoid sugary drinks without relying on artificial sweeteners you probably don’t want to expose your child to. Plus, water will help balance the pH level in the mouth and wash away some of the food particles from snacking.
Preventative Pediatric Dental Care in San Diego
Don’t forget to pack some time into your family’s busy schedule for regular visits to the dentist. BRSH+FLSS would be proud to be the pediatric dental practice you choose to help prevent tooth decay and gum disease for your kids. Whether the kids need a professional cleaning or emergency dental care, call 619-741-1500 to schedule an appointment.