Dental Health Issues Faced by Teens
As your kids hit adolescence, there are an entirely new set of concerns that can affect their future oral health. How can you help to protect your teenager’s dental health for years to come? Here are some issues to look out for that teens specifically face in regard to oral care.
- Oral care habits – When your kids are little, you probably ask them every night if they have brushed their teeth. You may even brush right alongside younger ones. Your teens need to care for these matters themselves. It can be tough to instill good habits at this point if they don’t already exist, but its better late than never when it comes to brushing and flossing daily.
- Nutrition habits – You may find it tough to control what your kids eat and drink when they are not at home. Be sure to encourage water and milk over sports drink and sodas.
- Smoking – If your child gets introduced to smoking by a relative or friend, this can cause all sorts of health concerns – including dental ones. Tobacco affects the color of teeth, causes bad breath, and increases the risk of a person ending up with gum disease or even oral cancers. It also affects the body’s ability to heal following a dental procedure.
- Contact sports – If your kids play sports at school or with friends, especially contact sports, a mouthguard can help protect their teeth.
- Piercings – If your teen wants an oral piercing, be sure to have an open discussion regarding the potential for serious oral health repercussions. From the potential for infections to teeth being broken by contact with the piercing, there are few good things a dentist can say about oral piercings.
Helping Your Children to Maintain Proper Oral Care
At BRSH+FLSS Pediatric Dentistry, we focus on prevention from when kids are very little right on into their teen years. We do this by helping parents to instill good oral care habits in their kids and by providing preventative services like dental sealants. To learn more or to schedule an appointment, call 619-741-1500 today.